Loker Law

What Happens if I Am Sued by a Debt Collector in CA?

Schedule Your Free Consultation
debt numbers

It is no surprise to know that there is nothing good in being indebted, especially to a third-party debt collector. Now they have added insult to injury and sued you for nonpayment. If this has occurred to you, it is in your best interest to reach out to our firm today to speak with an experienced California debt collection defense lawyer to learn what steps you should be taking if you have been sued by a debt collector. We are ready to help you, all you have to do is give us a call today.

What steps should I take if a debt collector has filed suit?

You should not ignore a summons that informs you that a debt collector has filed suit against you. If you do this, the collector may be able to collect a default judgment against you. Unless you answer with a reason, the court will enter judgment in favor of the collector. With that being said, the agency can obtain the amount you allegedly owe by embellishing your wages, putting a lien against your property, and freezing or trimming the funds in your bank account. It is also important to emphasize so that you are not ever blind-sided, and that you should never assume that the debt collection agency is, or ever has been, working in good faith. There is a history that has been documented of these agencies engaging in a range of unethical actions like a “sewer service,” where the agencies claim to have served you when really they left your summons. Because of this, debt collection agencies abuse California’s default judgment system. Do not hesitate to reach out to our legal team to discuss the details of your claim with one of our skilled consumer law attorneys. We are on your side each step of the way.

How do I succeed in a debt collection lawsuit that was filed against me?

It is important to acknowledge that you should not ever act on an impulse. You should supply entry to your bank account or contact a third-party debt settlement service. One of the following measures that should be taken immediately is to retain the services of an attorney that can help you craft an adequate response. Once you have submitted your initial answer, you should take the following actions:

  • File a countersuit
  • Challenge the collection agency’s right to sue you
  • Attempt to settle the debt
  • File for bankruptcy

Our firm does not advise you to go through this alone. With an experienced attorney in your corner, you can feel more relaxed knowing that your case is in the best hands. Give Loker Law, APC a call today. We look forward to hearing from you.

Watch Some of Our Latest Videos