Loker Law

Can a Debt Collector Contact My Employer in California?

Schedule Your Free Consultation
open sign at place of employment

When you owe a debt, you may feel like you’re drowning. The bills are piling up, and nothing you do seems to help reduce how much money you owe. However, when a debt collector starts showing up at your place of employment, the situation can get much more intense. Luckily, there are a set of laws in place to help protect you if you’re experiencing debt collection harassment. Continue reading to learn whether or not a debt collector can contact your employer and discover how a California debt collection harassment lawyer can help you with any issues you’re experiencing.

Are Collectors Allowed to Contact My Employer?

The Fair Dect Collections Practices Act (FDCPA) is a set of standards that third-party debt collectors must follow when pursuing owed funds. They outline the prohibited behaviors collectors must refrain from, such as threatening physical harm or pretending to be law enforcement. There are also rules on what debt collectors can and cannot say when speaking to others about your debt.

In general, collectors are allowed to contact your place of employment. However, they are extremely limited in what they can and cannot say when speaking with your employer. All they can inquire about is whether or not you work at that business and request your phone number and address.

Anything more than that is in violation of the FDCPA. A debt collector cannot discuss your debt with anyone but you, your spouse, or your attorney. If they tell your boss about your debt, shame you for it, or ask them to garnish your wages, you can file a report.

Similarly, if a debt collector continually calls you while you are at work, you are allowed to request that they cease communications with you at your place of employment. Taking personal calls may get you in trouble, and if you are not allowed, ask them to stop contacting you. Be sure to get their information so you can file a complaint if they continue to contact you at work.

How Can I Report a Collector Who Violates the Law?

When you are harassed by a debt collector in violation of the FDCPA by discussing the details of your debt with your employer, you may not know how to proceed. You can file a complaint with the California attorney general’s office or the Federal Trade Commission. However, these offices are often overwhelmed so you may not even hear back about your report.

Your best chance at getting justice for the harassment you’ve faced is to connect with an experienced attorney. Unfortunately, many people assume because they owe a debt, they no longer have the right to fight back against those looking to collect. This is far from the truth. An experienced attorney can help stop the harassment you’re experiencing.

At Loker Law, we will fight for you. You may not even know you’re entitled to financial compensation as a victim of harassment and FDCPA violation. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you receive justice.

Watch Some of Our Latest Videos