Few things are more devastating than realizing your identity has been stolen. Unfortunately, millions of Americans fall victim to some sort of identity theft every single year. In the advent of the digital age, identity theft has actually become easier and more prominent than ever, especially among our population’s most vulnerable, such as senior citizens. That said, there are several things you can do to protect yourself from acts of identity theft. Please continue reading and reach out to a dedicated California identity theft victim lawyer to learn more about how you can shield yourself from this theft and how our legal team can help if you’ve been made a victim. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What steps can I take to protect myself from an act of identity theft?
There are several steps you can take to shield yourself from a potential act of identity theft. Just some of the most important things you can do are as follows:
- Use different passwords for all of your accounts and keep a list of your passwords in a secure place.
- Use several characters for your passwords, making them challenging to guess for potential thieves.
- Ensure you never leave yourself logged in to online banking apps and other websites with sensitive personal information.
- Always shred documents and papers containing sensitive information.
- Make sure you get your mail as soon as possible–always on the same day. Thieves can literally reach into your mailbox and uncover sensitive information, such as your Social Security number.
- Remain aware of the various phishing scams out there.
- Understand that the IRS or other government agencies will never call or email you. If you get an email or phone call from the government, it’s a scam.
- Routinely check credit card statements to make sure no fraudulent purchases are made in your name.
What can I do if I am a victim?
If you are a victim, the first thing you should do is file a police report. For example, if your Social Security number has been stolen, or someone has opened up bank accounts in your name, you should speak with your local police station and ensure they write up a report regarding the theft. From there, you should strongly consider hiring a dedicated attorney who has vast experience handling issues of identity theft. Loker Law, APC has fought on behalf of identity theft victims for years, and we are prepared to fight for you too. Having your identity stolen can feel like a violation–because it is. We are here to get your privacy back.
If you have any further questions or you would like to speak with a seasoned attorney who can fight for you, please do not hesitate to contact Loker Law online today.